The Microsoft patterns & practices team is excited to announce the release of Project Silk.
Client-Side Web Development for Modern Browsers
Project Silk provides guidance for building maintainable cross-browser web applications that are characterized by an intentional design, rich interactivity, and a responsive user interface (UI). The result is an immersive and engaging user experience (UX). Such applications take advantage of the latest web standards, including HTML5, CSS3, and ECMAScript version 5, and modern web technologies such as jQuery and ASP.NET MVC 3.
The concepts explained in this book are demonstrated via a real-world customer-facing web application called the Mileage Stats Reference Implementation (Mileage Stats). Mileage Stats allows users to track and compare their vehicles’ fuel efficiency, usage, and operating costs, and to schedule vehicle maintenance reminders. The image below shows the Mileage Stats client-side objects and their implementation mapped to libraries or frameworks.
Building a rich web application that reduces the number of full-page loads, includes animations, and is responsible for updating the UI dynamically requires a thoughtful approach to managing structure, modularity, communication, navigation, and data. The book details how the Project Silk team designed Mileage Stats and solved a number of challenges.
- Project Silk download
- Project Silk Home Page on MSDN
- Project Silk Community on CodePlex
- Project Silk Road Map
- Mileage Stats Video
In this Release
- Project Silk Mileage Stats Reference Implementation full source code
- Widget QuickStart documentation and source code
- Unit Test Hands on Labs (3)
- Project Silk: Client-Side Web Development for Modern Browsers online documentation
- Mileage Stats Video
About patterns & practices
The Microsoft patterns & practices team provides a wide range of guidance to help customers save time and reduce risk on their software development projects by incorporating proven patterns and practices. This applied engineering guidance includes both production quality source code and in-depth documentation.
The guidance is designed to help software development teams:
- Make critical design and technology selection decisions by highlighting the appropriate solution architectures, technologies, and Microsoft products for common scenarios
- Understand the most important concepts needed for success by explaining the relevant patterns and prescribing the important practices
- Get started with a proven code base by providing thoroughly tested software and source code that embodies the recommendations
For more information: http://msdn.microsoft.com/practices
Have a great day,
Just a grain of sand on the worlds beaches.